Elliptical platter painted in overglaze famille rose enamels with an orange, black and gold egg-and-dart border on the flat rim; a solid black line at the edge of the well; and a coat of arms with supporters and the motto "AUSPCIO REGIS ET SENATUS ANGLIAE."
The arms are of the Honourable East India Company of Great Britain. One of the largest corporations ever known, the HEIC was founded in 1698 by a merger of two earlier East India Companies. At its height the company had a monopoly on British trade with China, India, and parts of the Middle East.
The service from which this platter comes was probably made for one of the HEIC's settlements in India. Additional pieces were commissioned in the mid-1810s and were lost when the "Diana" sank en route from Canton to Madras, India, in 1817.
|Year Range from||1800|
|Year Range to||1810|
|Material||Hard Paste Porcelain|
|Place of Origin||Made in Jingdezhen, Decorated in Guangzhou (Canton), China|
|Collection||The Reeves Center|
|Collector||Euchlin and Louise Herreshoff Reeves (R1967.1)|