This plate is from an enormous 1500 piece service made for the Honourable East India Company, the company that had a monopoly on Britain's trade with Asia. The service was intended for the Company's headquarters at Fort St. George in Chennai (formerly known as Madras), India.
The plate is decorated with the arms of the Company, which were granted in 1698 from the College of Arms, the organization that grants and regulates coats of arms for Britain.
In the late-eighteenth century, the Company had ordered armorial porcelain from China, but reflecting the decline of interest in Chinese export porcelain and the rise of the English porcelain industry, in the nineteenth-century, the Company ordered their porcelain from Worcester.
Chamberlain's Worcester was in operation from 1783 until about 1840. It was known for its high-quality porcelain, and specialized in producing armorial porcelain.
|Material||Hybrid Hard-Paste Porcelain|
|Place of Origin||Made at Chamberlain's Worcester Factory, Worcester, England|
|Artist||Chamberlain's Worcester Factory|
|Collection||The Reeves Center|
|Credit line||Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Bruce Coleman Perkins|
|On View||Reeves Center, European Gallery|
|Gallery ID Number||178|