|Object Name||Cup, Coffee|
Few pieces of porcelain more closely reference their place of origin than this cup and saucer, which are decorated with a view of the Albrechtsburg, the fortress in the town of Meissen which was home to the porcelain factory, and the city of Dresden, the capital of Saxony and home to Augustus the Strong, Elector of Saxony and King of Poland and patron of Meissen.
The view of Dresden shows some of the baroque landmarks of the city which was sometimes called the Florence of the North; the Augustus Bridge (named after Augustus the Strong), the Hofkirche (Catholic Church) on the right, and the Frauenkirche (Lutheran Church) on the left.
The view is based on painting by Bernardo Bellotto, better known as Canaletto, which was painted from the terrace of the Japanese Palace, which was designed by Augustus as a showplace for his collections of Chinese, Japanese, and Meissen porcelain.
|Year Range from||1795|
|Year Range to||1805|
|Place of Origin||Made at the Meissen Porcelain Manufactory, Meissen, Germany|
|Artist||Meissen Porcelain Manufactory|
|Collection||The Reeves Center|
|Credit line||Mr. and Mrs. Euchlin D. Reeves Collection in memory of Mrs. Chester Green Reeves and Miss Lizzie H. Dyer|
|On View||Reeves Center, European Gallery|
|Gallery ID Number||169|