|Object Name||Cup, Coffee|
This cup is from a service made for Andrew Snape Hamond (1738-1828), a naval officer and administrator.
Andrew Hamond was the only son of Robert Hamond and Susannah Snape. His father was a shipowner, which normally would have provided a comfortable living, but after two of his five ships were lost at sea, he "fell into misfortune, from which, with all his industry, he could never entirely extricate himself." While individuals could make great fortunes through maritime trade, it was a risky business, and many were ruined.
Andrew Hamond followed his father to the sea, joining the navy in 1753. He rose through the ranks to become a captain during the Seven Years War. At the start of the American Revolution he was appointed captain of the 44-gun Roebuck. By early 1776 he was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia, with orders to protect Virginia loyalists and to blockade the strategically important Chesapeake and Delaware bays. He helped evacuate loyalists from Virginia in 1777; assisted in the capture of Philadelphia in 177 and 1778 (where he ran aground several times in Delaware River while pursuing American ships; his depth readings help chart the shallow waters of the river); and participated in the Siege of Charleston, South Carolina. He was described as being "ever ready, forward, and animated" and was knighted for his service in 1779.
Following the American Revolution, Hamond served as Lieutenant-Governor of Nova Scotia from 1781 to 1782, commodore of the guardships of Chatham 1787 until 1793, and Controller of the Navy Board from 1794 until 1806. In 1783 he was made a baronet, probably in recognition of his service as lieutenant-governor.
Hamond first married Cecilia Sutherland in 1763, and following her death, married a second time in 1779 to Anne Graeme. Upon his retirement in 1806 they lived at his country estate, Hamond Lodge, in Norfolk on the East Coast of England. His son, Graham Eden Hamilton, followed his father into the navy, eventually rising to the rank of admiral.
|Year Range from||1788|
|Year Range to||1792|
|Material||Hard Paste Porcelain|
|Place of Origin||Made in Jingdezhen, Decorated in Guangzhou (Canton), China|
|Collection||The Reeves Center|
|Credit line||Gift of H.F. Lenfest and Beverly M. DuBose III|
|On View||Reeves Center, Chinese Armorial Gallery|
|Gallery ID Number||2421|