|Object Name||Cup, Coffee|
This cup is part of a service commissioned by George Gleig of Arbuthnott, Kincardineshire, Scotland. He was born in 1753 to a Scottish Episcopalian family. Greig entered King's College at the age of thirteen and graduated in 1773. That same year, he took orders in the Scottish Episcopal Church and was appointed to the charge of Crail and Pittenweem, Fife, Scotland.
Gleig spend much of his time working toward the relaxation of penal laws against the Episcopal Church and closer ties with the Church of England. He was elected Bishop of Dunkeld in 1786, 1792, and 1808 but all three elections were nullified, mainly due to the hostility of Bishop John Skinner of Aberdeen, which stemmed in part from Gleig's criticism of Skinner's sermons.
In 1789 Gleig married Janet, youngest daughter of Robert Hamilton of Kilbrackmont, Scotland. Together they had three sons and one daughter. Gleig frequently contributed pieces to the Monthly Review, the Gentleman's Magazine, the British Critic, and the Anti-Jacobin Review, and penned several articles of the third edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. He was elected a member of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and became a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.
In 1808 Gleig was elected coadjutor to Bishop John Strachan of Brechin, whom he succeeded in 1810. He was elected primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church in 1816, a position he held until 1837. Gleig died in 1840 and was buried in Greyfriars Church, Stirling, Scotland.
|Year Range from||1786|
|Year Range to||1790|
|Material||Hard Paste Porcelain|
|Place of Origin||Made in Jingdezhen, Decorated in Guangzhou (Canton), China|
|Collection||The Reeves Center|
|Collector||David Sanctuary Howard Collection of Armorial Porcelain Coffee Cups|
|On View||Reeves Center, Chinese Armorial Gallery|