|Object Name||Cup, Coffee|
This cup comes from a service made for a member of the Tyndall family of England. It was most likely made for Thomas Tyndall (1722-1794), a wealthy merchant from the port of Bristol who had ties with the Caribbean and the sugar trade. Bristol was a major port in the eighteenth century, and had gotten rich on profits from the slave, tobacco and sugar trades.
In 1756 Thomas married Alicia Smith (1733-1764), an heiress from Barbados, which was one of the major sugar-producing islands of the Caribbean. They built a country estate, called Tyndall's Park, outside Bristol. The house, built between 1758 and 1762 on the site of a fort from the English Civil War, was called Fort Royal. It had a fine classical façade and elaborate rococo-style interiors, and was designed by the architect James Bridges and decorated with elaborate carving and plasterwork executed by Thomas Stocking and Thomas Paty.
Thomas died in 1794 and was buried in Christ Church, Bristol, where a memorial to him and his wife, who died in 1764, bears the Tyndall arms.
|Year Range from||1758|
|Year Range to||1762|
|Material||Hard Paste Porcelain|
|Place of Origin||Made in Jingdezhen, Decorated in Guangzhou (Canton), China|
|Collection||The Reeves Center|
|Credit line||Gift of H.F. Lenfest and Beverly M. DuBose III|
|On View||Reeves Center, Chinese Armorial Gallery|
|Gallery ID Number||2235|